Thursday, August 02, 2007

On Anna Karenina

The hidden moralist in me felt Anna deserved to be separated from her son, after all, what mother would would leave her husband and son for a toyboy? But a few chapters later I would be convinced that we all deserved to seek out true love and to hell with the kids and the consequences. There were times when I disliked Anna and times when I sympathised. She was needy, selfish and vain. Kitty whinged and Levin was morose and jealous. Stepan philandered and Karenin was both Saint and Devil. Dolly was a do-gooder. I loved it. It's been a while since I read a book where most of the main characters were so flawed.

2 comments:

Shammi said...

Would you believe I havent read Anna Karenina?? :( I'm putting it on my to-read list, even tho Russian novels are such hard reading... I'm reading another classic at the moment - Ernest Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls.

Nicole Short said...

Niice blog you have