Friday, December 09, 2005

Trigger

Date: 8th June, 2001

A day old bride. Back in her parents’ home. Her sister is leaving the next day. The house is full of family and friends. They all decide to walk the sister back to her husband’s home down the road. The new bride and her two best friends dawdle along, enjoying the sweet evening breeze. They remember walking down the same road countless times before. To catch an auto to Satyam. To buy ice cream. To nowhere in particular. They wonder if things will ever be the same again. When will they meet next? Is it out of sight, out of mind or absence makes the heart grow fonder? They instinctively reach out for each other’s hands in the darkness.

Date: 8th December 2005

A married woman of more than three years steps out of office. It is dark and the air is cold and wet. She walks to the station and thinks of another evening from her past. She doesn’t know why she is reminded of it. Perhaps it is the single lamp post illuminating the street. Or the Sri Lankan Tamizh boy at the shop who hums Rajnikant songs under his breath. Whatever it is, it brings salty, sharp tears to her eyes that take her by surprise. She reaches out instinctively in the dark. But there are no hands to hold.

11 comments:

Abi said...

i love those moments! while they are sad they make me feel alive.

and why, oh why, do i get excited when i see "Sri Lankan" :-)

San said...

timeless memories ey. beatifully captured post :)

Anonymous said...

My best friend is gettin married soon and moving overseas...fuck I will miss her like hell.

sinusoidally said...

When we move away to a faraway land we leave behind a time. A time that we hope will be standing still when we go back.

Premalatha said...

Hi, I wanted to post this in your other post. I guess this post is not too irrelevant either.

I know the feeling when one has to settle for primark while prada was the standard set for the self all along. It is not just my boss, my whole life, and all the characters in my life have been working on me. It is amazin how I survived for so long. I have given into them now. I have settled for primark. but, hey, I have started working on christmas sale, boxing day, and even closing down sale, with so much enthu believing that I can show my potential in this atlesat!!

I reach out as well, but then I never had hands to touch. :(

Anonymous said...

Shoefie... that was so touching!

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

Thanks everyone... It was just one of those cold, horrible, wet nights when you could do with a few friends to lean on. But then hey... at least I my blogging pals :)Allow me to extend a cyber hand to all of you

Anonymous said...

beautiful! reaching out to touch someone in a foreign land and finiding darkness. been there done that myself, so am all moved to tears...

Zette Remi said...

I remember reading somewhere about how important it is to have good friends (that you can lean on) rather than relatives while you get older. There can be noone else who would understand you better and most of the times you have gone through the similar things through out life. Older people would be so much happier if they have a strong network of friends.

Makes me miss my friends...

Minal said...

Oh you got it bang on. Been through that feeling. The three of us are today in different worlds. But thank god for telephone and e-mail we are atleast in touch though virtually!

Unknown said...

just visiting your blog... just could not leave without posting a comment on this one... very well captured and put in just about the right way...