Monday, March 13, 2006

journey home

on the train

delayed
delayed
delayed

the rim of the platform is edged
with people threatening to spill
over like unshed tears

i stand at the front
of this surging swelling mass
irritated at the triple delay

i see a man
push his way through
edging along the ring

he is close and
the urge to push him
over the yellow line

so intense
that I step back
in to the crowd

the train arrives
and he
gets my seat

and on the bus

white
brown
yellow
black
blue veins
purple bruises
green eyes
tonight the bus is
a living breathing
pantone card

6 comments:

Falstaff said...

Nice. I like the first two stanzas.

Nessa said...

I thought that only happened in Mumbai!

I love the London tube system.. Planning how to get from point A to point B is a lot of fun for a tourist :)
*Yes, I'm very easy to please* :D

Arun said...

LOL! Expect an ad-woman to come with poetry on pantone cards!

Nice. Enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

nice...n yes its pissing off 2 come across ppl like dat...if i were u i wud have pushed him..;)

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

Falstaff - thanks. I think I should have stopped after the first two stanzas really.

Nessa - Nope. It happens wherever there is mass transit. And after living here for a year the excitement of travelling by tube has been replaced with ennui


Arun - what can i say... the ad world just won't leave me alone

c not o - I'd be in jail then and making my one phone call to you :P

Tara Alton said...

Love your poem. I added you to my blogroll.