Monday, September 18, 2006

dialogue

“Hello Reva Behen. Su karech?”

“I’m fine Ila. And you?”

“Same. Busy, busy, busy. You’ve lost some weight. What are we doing today?”

“Waxing and threading. I’ve been going swimming”

“Accha? Good, good. I’ll start with the arms. Full or half?”

“Full arms and underarms. Full legs too please.”

“So how is your husband? Still travelling a lot?”

“Mmm. Not so much. Tssss”

“Sorry, sorry. Wax too hot?”

“No, no it’s fine”

“So. Is he home this week or no?”

“Yes he’s working from home today. That’s why I walked and came.”

“In this sun? You’ll become even more dark then Reva Behen. Ask him to pick you up at least.”

“Not today. Our house help has come. He has to be at home.”

“You have a maid is it?”

“Ila Behen we shouldn’t call them maid in this country. It’s house help.”

“So lucky you are. See I have to do all the work myself here. Indian?”

“No, no. She’s Serbian.”

“Where is that?”

“Near Poland I think.”

“Lift your arm please. Hold. How old is she?”

“I think 24 or 25. She has three children but is so well maintained you know. Must be all the housework she does.”

“So brave you are Reva Behen. Leaving your husband at home alone with an attractive woman. All these Polish people in the papers taking away British jobs. Now they’ll be taking away our husbands too. Eh? Eh?”

“She’s Serbian.”

“Sorry?”

“She’s not Polish. She’s Serbian.”

“Same thing. Blond hair, slim waist. Turn over please. I’ll do this leg next.”

“Just do half leg ji. I forgot. I have to get home early today.”

17 comments:

rads said...

haha. :-)

DesiGirl said...

hmmmm
something, something?
:D

Anonymous said...

Polish girls are gorgeous :P Needless to say about swedish and russian blondes :)

Ravages/CC said...

Run! The vikings are coming!

ggop said...

Shoefiend,
You take the art of eavesdropping to another level. This is so much more entertaining than the unbelievable (sometimes made up lines I bet!) stuff in overheadinnewyork.
I know you weren't eavesdropping though :-)
gg

Szerelem said...

oooh....fab!!!
personally, give me an olive skinned brunette over a blond anyday =P

Anonymous said...

lol

The Inquisitive Akka said...

Lovely story! You actually have beauty parlours like this in London?? It sounded so desi! :)

P said...

LOL!! Somethings never change no matter what the place..

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

Rads - :)

Desi - Maybe. Maybe not

Ferrari - Yellam onnu daan!

Ravages - :) I saw a woman with a rather hirsute chin on the train this morning and couldn;t help but think of your comment


ggop - Eavesdrop? Moi?

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

Szerelem - I'd say me too - but my husband is already suspicious over terris 'you swing both ways' comment in the last post

WA - :D

Akka - Of course. some parts of London are mini Juhus!

perspective inc - :D

Szerelem said...

hehehe......yes I get that too. Now i have to clarify to people. "I'm straight you know? Seriously!"

twip said...

I second szerelem.

Give me mediterranean olive skin and dark hair any day.

Oh and the dark shiny eyes too.

Hee!

sinusoidally said...

Ila had a point there. Serbian or Polish, I wouldn't leave my (would be) husband alone in the house with a 24 year old blonde with a slim waist!

Liked reading it.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Vivid, original.
U said u are a writer. wud like to know a little bit more about that.

Ravages/CC said...

You did get photos of said Viking, didn't you?

Anonymous said...

If you were going to buy a golf club, you wouldn't walk into a store and buy the first one you see, would you? Of course not; especially if you want to improve your golf game! You'll want to hold the club, take some practice swings, hit some balls if the store has a practice spot, and look at the price, of course. If you are considering buying running shoes, you need to go through a similar process and take the time to find the perfect shoe.