Thursday, September 21, 2006

random ends and bits that may never turn in to full fledged posts

Poetry and C Section Kavita

Some people dedicate entire months to the reading of poetry. I would never make such an attempt - it would make me feel inadequate and stupid. I blame school for killing my ability to appreciate and understand poetry (and plays). Ozymandius, Tiger Tiger (not the on at Piccadilly) and a little Ezekiel are all I really remember. Repeatedly read by stilted voices in crowded classrooms, the verses would valiantly struggles to be heard over the droning of fans , the scratching of heads and the rustle of notes as they were passed. Poetry became just another part of my English II paper. For some strange reason my sister learning All the Worlds a Stage for a poetry recitation competition springs to mind as I type this. (She came first by the way.) Though this site has done much to remove my fear of poetry (the voices hear are not competing with V Kavita Section C and her horsy giggling. Or is that neighing?) I decided to go one step further and pick up Poem for the Day One from the library. As the title suggests there is one poem for each day with a little note at the bottom about the poet and his work. There are some in there I know, some I don't and some that look so scarily long and difficult that I may never attempt to read them. Still, there is hope.

My Chrissie Moment

Baking a cake has a decidedly Martha Stewart feel to it, though I possess neither apron nor matching oven mitts. Listening to The Pretenders as I baked a soaked orange cake this afternoon made me feel decidedly cooler. My sister was always the clever one in the kitchen. When we were kids she would bring home her Home Ec. Recipes and we would try the Hungarian Chocolate Chip Cookies and Scones. I was the official egg cracker and bowl and spoon licker. As I polished the spoon clean today I felt 8 again.

Moment of shame

I googled Suri Cruise to see what Scientology's latest follower looked like. I know.

Weather forecast

Summer hands over the reigns to Autumn reluctantly. The air is like a fresh, green apple. Smooth. Crunchy. Crisp.

13 comments:

Mridula said...

Me too, I don't know what they did to me in school but I just can't understand (or just stand?) poetry or play but still gungho on fiction and other prose.

Sunil said...

I can only remember bits of three poems (all from school)......Tiger, tiger :-), Stopping by woods on a snowy evening, and, surprisingly "Horatius" (Macaulay's).....which I actually liked then!

Such is life......can barely read poetry now......though if it's set to a tune, and someone's singing it, I can listen.

Aparna said...

Smooth. Crunchy. Crisp weather.
I know exactly what you mean...I can almsot feel it...:)

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

Mridula - I'm trying to set things right. One poem one day at a time!

Sunil - Yes! Brown! How could I have forgotten him.

TCC - Very true! Hence forth all REABs shall be named OTATs. (with your kind permission!)


Aparna :D I do like Autumn

Anonymous said...

Hi

What about "Charge of the Light Brigade" Doesn't anyone remember that one???

Come on surely I'm not the only one who remembers that one...

Best

Shilpa

30in2005 said...

obviously drafts leftover from another era. Today is anything but crunchy or crisp wouldn't you say?

30in2005 said...

BTW, I just cannot get my head around poetry.....and nothing and nobody can change this.....

30in2005 said...

Orange cake counds nice. hope the recipient liked it....

The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

S - The only tamizh poem I remember was about a squirrel. Anile anile odiva or something like that. I think.

Shilpa - I remember that one too! There. Another one on my list.

30in2005 - Tell me about it. This has got to be the most depressing weather ever. Oh sorry. I'll save that statement for Feb. And yes the cake was very well recieved! :)

The Inquisitive Akka said...

Brought back memories. I used to love "mugging" up poems and would keep reciting them until everyone got sick of me and my intonation. Strangely enough I don't remember any of them anymore.

sathish said...

I remember only one poem -
"success is counted sweetest by those who never succeed" by Emily dickenson.

but,we had a very good english teachers - we had really vivid and great debate/arguments over every single poem.

Oh!.. those simple days! :)

Szerelem said...

Suri Cruise is cute....way cuter than Shiloh Pitt.
Yes, I know they look like. No, I am not ashamed. I am a tabloid junkie. Still not ashamed.=P

Unknown said...

Nice and funny blog!!!! i love very much....hey I have brilliant teacher...when i think her,Timberland shoes will come first...